Sunday, April 3, 2011

Itaewon: The Unplanned Photowalk

It sometimes takes some courage to find things out by yourself. Yesterday, I simply had the perfect time to go on a leisure trip to a place I've never been. Another just-go-with-my-instincts-since-I-got-no-map impromptu trip! And that definitely was one of the most exciting trips I've done so far even just with myself and my beloved Daniella. ^^



02 March 2011

Let me start again from my first hour routine on a Saturday morning.

0610h
I rushed to the bus station in front of the campus. I almost thought that I would miss the bus but I arrived and was able to buy my ticket for 6,500 krw by 6:15.

The usual travel route starts with the bus in front of Korea University Sejong Campus at Jochiwon. For an hour and a half, I was on the bus. I needed to finish some readings since we were going to have a quiz in my afternoon class and I haven't finished studying half of it yet. For the first 25 minutes, I was reading in the bus. I never got dizzy at all! To think that I usually feel dizzy whenever I ride any vehicle and start reading even some text messages on a cellular phone! But it's different here, the bus simply has that smooth ride that I don't feel any dizziness at all. Just drowsiness because it's still too early! LOL.

0745h
The bus must have gone a notch faster since we arrived 5 minutes ahead of schedule at the Express Bus Terminal Station. I felt cold when I got off the bus and I badly needed something to keep me awake. I felt like I was sleep walking. So I rushed to get in the building to get warm and looked for a vendo machine to get me some coffee. I remembered the cappuccino in can that my classmate gave me last Tuesday, it was warm and all the while I thought that the Maxwell coffee-in-can that I saw at one vendo machine was the same, warm. But poor me, it was not! I needed a warm drink!

I saw a convenience store and what seemed to look like a heater that contained some Starbucks coffee and other brands that come in bottles. Ah! There it is! The warm coffee! And so I bought one, Cantata, and to my shock, it was 2,000 krw! The Maxwell in can was just 700 krw! T___T" I paid it with my T-money instead.

I walked my way towards Subway Line 3, used my T-money to get in and waited for the subway to reach Yaksu Station. At Yaksu, I almost exited the subway! I was obviously still half asleep! LOL. I literally laughed at myself and finally woke up at the thought that I almost went to the wrong way. I transfered to Line 6 to reach Anam Station.

0820h
I got off the subway and I remembered Exit 4. So there I went out at Anam Station Exit 4. Remembering the intersection, I would usually turn right to go to the main campus of Korea University. But while walking, I noticed that I passed by Etude House and I have never seen it before despite the fact that I have been going to and from Anam campus for several Saturdays already, and Tuesdays, of course but on another building (the other side of the road where I take another exit). Then I started walking backwards since the route seemed longer than I thought and I can't find Seoul Kitchen Cafe, the landmark to reach the gate going towards the Biotechnology Building. Ahemmmm... This seems wrong. Then I remembered, "Oh yeah! Exit 4 is the exit I take for my Tuesday route!". LOL. So I went back the subway and crossed the street.

Now, I was in the familiar route. I saw a pigeon on the rode, brought out "Daniella" and started shooting. Suddenly, a familiar voice called out my name. It was MJ oppa with his cup of warm Starbucks coffee. We walked together uphill towards our building where we would be having our first period class at 9:00.

1215h
We were dismissed and I decided to check out the Grazie cafeteria at the basement. It was open! I ordered again the same sandwich (doughnut shaped-bread / "soft" bagel with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and ham) for 3,000 krw. While eating, I was also reading. I started to feel sleepy again so I bought some chocolate Kisses. A dozen costs 1,000 krw! I only wanted a pair of them but that's how they were sold. Take it or leave it. So I took them and gave a pair to the lady in charge of the cafeteria. LOL.

1330h
The afternoon class started. At least this time, my eyes were not drooping anymore unlike last week where I could hardly keep my eyes open. LOL. The class was supposed to end at 4:30pm but our professor dismissed us by 4:00.

1600h
MJ oppa had something to do and he thought I wanted to go back to Jochiwon early, so I went ahead. Along the road, I met my morning class professor and told him that I'm having a hard time with the pop questions since I've never had a background in that subject. We took the subway but he got off a few stations ahead of me and since he knew I wanted to go sight-seeing, he bid me farewell and enjoyment for the trip I was about to have.

1635h
Finally! I'm exiting Itaewon Subway! Since I had no map on hand and reading the T-map on my phone would sometimes take much time and might even lead me to small accidents like getting bumped along the busy streetsides of Itaewon, I asked for some tips from SK through Kakaotalk. He told me to check out the Ankara Picnic just right outside Exit 3 if I wanted good kebab and see the Islam Palace just a few blocks down the road. He sent me a photo from google map but it hardly had any information of the places.

I read the signs and saw that Itaewon Subway Exit 4 would lead me to the market. It caught my eyes and seemed to be more interesting than the ones written on Exit 3. So I decided to go for Exit 4 first. Anyhow, if I lose my way I can just go back to the subway and reroute again. LOL. As I got out of Exit 4, I saw more pigeons! They were all on the ground pecking at some crackers thrown by some passers-by. They didn't scatter despite my coming near them as I kept taking their photos. The lady vendor nearby was starting to get irritated since the pigeons were starting to get closer to her, as if she had the food they wanted to eat. So she shooed them with her stick. LOL.

I walked straight ahead on the sidewalk from then on. I saw McDonald's! I saw more familiar stores like Merrel... And I saw SUBWAY! My favorite sandwich store! I'm gonna come back for it next time. I only had enough money that day for a kebab and some extra for "emergency landings" (like getting lost). LOL.

I saw a sign that says "Art Gallery" and so I followed it. Near the end of the street, there is the "Welcome to Itaewon" sign over the road with the stoplights. At the corner of the streetside where I was standing, there was also a stage that had some portrait images with an invitation to have your photos taken there. I took some shots around that area and some Caucasian guy approached me and asked if I was an amateur photographer. He was creepy though cos he was being rude and asked if I wanted to take his nude photos! YUCK! How dare he! I simply and nicely told him, "No, I don't want." Then when I walked away, a few minutes after, he followed me and told me he has a big van (offering me a ride or something). Scary and freaky dude! I declined it of course! Then I decided to zigzag my way through a small alley so that he won't be able to follow me anymore.

In that alley, I saw an art gallery. The walls so colorful that I couldn't help but take lots of photos in that area. Just perfect! A few steps from the gallery on the other corner, there is a cafe and gallery shop. It is a great place for artists and art enthusiasts! The place itself, I cannot explain in words, I just find it so amusing! It gave a warm look despite the cold wind, the coziness, the puzzly-like way to go through it, the shades and shapes that can mesmerize the eyes, the playful spirit of that little corner...every bit of that place spelled F-U-N! Relaxing but energetic! It's so ironic in itself! *___* I'd love to go back to that place again. GALLERY GOLMOK --- bold, fierce, welcoming, blissful, inviting. ^^,

After the tour around that cozy area, I decided to go further and explore more of the small sidestreets and hidden alleys, the market along the main rode was not the only market at all! There's more! More shops, more fashion, more stuff to bewilder the eyes of the shopaholics! LOL. I wasn't there to shop though, window shopping probably, but more of canvassing and sight-familiarization. ^^

I saw cafes and some small restaurants along the way. Then I saw a huge building with an irregularly designed geometric shape. It looked so fabulously sun-stricken that I could not resist having "Dee" take her best shots! I went around it and found out that it was the Art Hall. I didn't know if it was open though and it seemed that I wouldn't have enough time if I'd go in and tour the place. So I decided to just take photos of it's magnificent exterior then. I was back on the highway and along the sidewalk, an old man was walking with his bike that read some sign. He also had some recordings played with his bike's speaker and all I could understand was "Kristu". He's probably a Christian too and it seemed like some proclamation being announced.

I went on and turned right, back to the street where I started the straight, long walk from the subway. I decided to cross the rode and check out the other side. This time, I was feeling it. THE FOOD! Good dining restaurants from everywhere! American, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai ---- there were so many of them and I couldn't help but take more photos of the place! I even stumbled over a restaurant that say's they're 100% vegan! Something to remember, I took a photo of it cos I plan to try it out. LOL.

I was hoping to find a Filipino restaurant and I would have eaten there even if it would cost more than my budget. I simply miss Pinoy food! Adobo, binagoongan, kare-kare, menudo, tinola, kilawin, laing --- "ohhh now I'm so hungry just thinking of them!". I walked on, more shots and saw even more pubs for soju and magkeolli lovers, clubbers and party-goers. Hmmm...^^,

When I reached the intersection and crossed the road, right at the corner was Dubai Restuarant.Outside it, an Indian-looking ice cream man was putting on a show for his customers. I went to see and took some photos as he flipped his scoop of ice cream upside down for several times and the ice cream never fell! He even made me part of the audience and pulled some tricky stunt on me by offering me the ice cream and getting it back up with his long stick. (I wasn't able to buy though, I didn't feel like eating anything cold since I was already hungry. But I'll be coming back for that next time!).

I remembered that the famous or must-try kebab at Ankara Picnic is just right outside Exit 3. I recalled getting out of Exit 4 so I decided to go back down the subway to look for Exit 3. When I got out of Exit 3, I simply couldn't help but laugh at myself because I was already walking along the side of Exit 3 before I went back to the Exit 4 stairway. LOL. From then on, I walked and saw ATM machines where I can finally use my BDO atm card! Also, there's a Western Union but I wasn't sure how the transactions would go since there was no officer since it was a Saturday. At least, now I know that there's that! ^^,

I saw a sign that pointed to the Catholic Church and I followed it. By the time I reached the church, it was already 6:30pm and the anticipated mass has already began. I saw the schedule outside and it read 6:00pm during Saturdays. Too bad, I took photos of the place instead and walked back to look for Ankara Picnic. I was already about to give up and ask the ice cream guy where Ankara Picnic is since I've been passing the same corner twice already. Then I decided to walk on and go near Exit 3. And amazingly, Anakara Picnic is just to the right of the Exit! I didn't notice it because there were so many people literally queuing just to buy the kebab! It definitely looked like a box office hit movie! So I followed towards the end of the line to order the so-called "delicious kebab" for 4,000 krw. The foreigners in front of me ordered like 17 kebabs! Wow! By the time I got my turn to order, I tried the LAMB KEBAB - and I had the spicy one, of course. ^^, In the small place, the kebab store had some free magazines and a map!!! I finally have a map to go with! Wooot! Thanks to Ankara Picnic! What a way to complete my day. But nope, my day isn't over yet! When I got out of the store, I saw some women having their autograph signed by some foreigner. I don't recognize the beautiful lady but I asked her permission if I can take some photos of them. LOL.

I walked back again and looked for the Islam Palace. Around that area, there you'd see the "LITTLE INDIA" of Seoul! They had their own bakery and a variety of stores, too. At the palace, I went up and took several photos. It was located on a hilltop that from there, you can see an overview of Itaewon. Probably if I went on top of the building, if it were possible, it would have given a way better view of Itaewon. I also wanted to see the inside of the palace but I didn't dare to cos it seemed inappropriate and there seemed to be only men inside since I never saw a woman come out of it. I took photos of the exteriors then.

I remembered the art gallery again and a lady back in the gallery shop, Suyoung, told me that there's going to be a show at 6:00pm. It was past 7 already but I knew they that it was the opening night of the exhibit. When I got to the place, I saw the artist, Eric Scott Nelson. I took some photos of the exhibit and had a good conversation with the artist. He was the person whom I've been using as my subject and background earlier in the afternoon while I was taking photos from the gallery shop! He is a very entertaining and funny guy and he talked a lot. LOL.

Now it was almost 8:00, I had to head back home to catch the 9:10 pm train to Jochiwon at the Seoul Station.

2010h
Back in the subway.

2035h
I reached Seoul Station. I walked towards the ticket booth and bought myself a train ticket. I was hoping to get the no-seat ticket so it would be cheaper and planned on seating at the cafeteria instead. But there were still a lot of seats left! Ohhh..So my train ticket cost 8,100 krw.

2100h
I went to Platform No. 4, went in the 3rd car and sat at my reserved seat, 46. I set my phone to alarm at 10:35 pm just in case I would fall asleep in the train. LOL.

Til my next adventure!!! -cathianne c",)

No comments:

Post a Comment