Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cheonan Trip



Cathianne's Journal:

MY CHEONAN ADVENTURE HAS BEGAN
06 March 2011

0900h *beep* *beep* *beep* - off.

1000h All dressed up and ready to go. Now I walk to the downtown. Where did I get lost the last time? I know that's where I saw the Korail. Haha!

Today, I'm going to Cheonan to visit my fellow Thomasian engineers who are now at Gongju National University. From Jochiwon to Cheonan, I am going to ride the KORAIL.

Where I got lost the last time is where I'm going. Now I'm taking the other route again... I see the KORAIL now! But where is the entrance?...

Go up the overpass? Nope. Wrong way. Go further and up to the other overpass. Now I'm getting nearer! Wooot!

1050h I see military students of Korea University right at the train station. I wanted to take pictures of them but I might miss the train. So yeah, next time... ~_~

I was informed by Shobe that I should take the 1059h or 1119h trip. I was aiming for the 1119h trip but when I got to the ticket booth, the guy gave me the 1059h trip to Cheonan! 2 minutes to the platform before the train leaves!

The ticket from Jochiwon to Cheonan costs 2,500 krw. It takes only 20-minutes to reach Cheonan from Jochiwon.

By the time I reached platform no. 5, I was not sure what side I am supposed to wait. I couldn't help but ask a lady who seemed to be a student and might probably know how to speak English. Too bad, she kept saying "Jamkamanyo" and we did more charades instead. She was very kind at least to help me find my seat when the train arrived even if she was to seat in another car of the train. What a nice girl. ^^

1059h Train moves.

1119h Train arrives Cheonan Station.

I get off the train and wait for Shobe. I buy myself a nice cup of hot hazelnut coffee to get warmed up. It's so cold outside I didn't want to stay out.

Shobe arrives to pick me up and we go to a nearby restaurant to eat some lunch, my first real meal for the day. I'm getting used to eating lunch and dinner only since food is quite expensive and the servings are big for my appetite. =))

Food: RAMYON and KIMBAP with TUNA
Thanks to Shobe for the treat! ^^

1220h We leave the restaurant and go to the office of the Catholic Church where we will attend our first Hangeul Class. We reach the floor where the class is to be held. As I get in, I see more Pinoys for the first time! The class has about 12 students and most of us are Pinoys. It's quite a joy to see fellow Filipinos since in Jochiwon, I have never seen one.

Fr. Marcelino Meng, a Korean Catholic priest, is the officiating priest of the English mass we will be attending and already knows Shobe and the other Thomasians who've been here for over a year. He's a very funny priest and he knows how to speak in Tagalog. He even says that his nickname is TOM, short for Tom Cruise. =))

1450h The class ends and I've learned one word --- "CHINCHA"?!?! which means "REALLY"?!?! =))

With me are Shobe, Micah, Ed, and new friends I've met Ate Joahanne and Joseph. We all go together to the church to attend the 3:30PM English Mass where most attendees are also Filipinos.

Ang SAYA makakita ng maraming NOYPI!!! =D

1630h Meryenda for the community. Some sliced apples and "tok"?

1700h Walk around town. We go to the grocery to buy some household needs. I needed some laundry detergent and fab con already.

Streetfood! For the first time I get to eat the street food! Tasted like a very soft fish fillet and Micah made me try another one which tasted better! A stick of the fish is 500 krw. Thanks to Ed for the treat! =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TRIVIA: On Korean Street Food
Pajonmacha (Covered Wagons)

Odeng (오댕)
Odeng is available at almost every street food cart you come across. One might wonder how the vendors can possibly all make a living selling odeng if it is available everywhere. However, each vendor will have their own safely guarded recipe for their unique odeng and you will be hard pushed to taste exactly the same concoction twice. Odeng is basically a fish cake made with fish and wheat flour which is usually threaded onto a stick and boiled in a flavoursome broth. The skewered fish cakes are then served along with a cup of hot broth and free broth refills are the norm.
Tteokbokki (떡볶이)
You simply cannot miss tteokbokki thanks to its almost neon shade of orange. Like odeng, tteokbokki is a standard snack option at mostpojanmacha. Tteokbokki is a rice cake stew covered in a sticky, spicy and sweet sauce. Again, each vendor has their own unique recipe for tteokbokki but popular ingredients for the stew include red peppers, onions and of course the chewy, bite size rice cakes. Often vendors will add ramen (noodles) or dumplings to the stew to make it even more interesting. It is usually served in a small paper bowl or cup lined with a plastic food bag. If it is too spicy, you can always mix some of the savoury odeng broth in with it to cool it down a bit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~1730h I get to have my T-money from Ed. Reload and ride on the bus to Gongju National University.
At the bus stop, Shobe shops for a box of Hodo Kwaja, the famous delicacy of Cheonan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More about HODO KWAJA
Hodo Kwaja is a popular snack food sold on the streets of Korea. Baked in a walnut shaped mold and filled with red bean paste, these treats are simply great.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I have to remember the landmarks so that the next time I go there, Shobe won't have to keep fetching me at the Korail Train Station. =)

Most of the restaurants in front of the University are still closed. So we wait at the bus stop and munch on some hodo kwaja.

~1840h We meet Joanne and Meyel, the sister of Ate Marla. We go to a nearby restaurant and I get to eat my first KALBI for dinner! WOoooOT =))

I was still full though but I want to eat as much as I can. I get to try my first shot of SOJU too! =))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On KALBI


On SOJU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1930h Kuya Mark, Ate Marla's boyfriend arrives while we are finishing our dinner.

2015h I take the taxi with Meyel to the Korail Train Station. Home to Jochiwon I go and I arrive at Korea University by 09:00pm.

I will see you guys again next week! I'm sleeping over on Saturday! ~_~

No comments:

Post a Comment