Saturday, March 26, 2011

Close Encounters with Lost Translation

Cathianne's Journal:

I'm Sorry I Don't Understand...Maybe Next Time We Talk Again?
26 March 2011

Menu for Today:
Lunch - streetfood cafeteria, Kimbap for 2,000 krw
Snack on the train - 호두과자 (box of 12 for 6,000 krw from Seoul Stn.)
Dinner - kimbap at GS25 in front of Jochiwon stn. for 1,200 krw

I arrived at the bus station past 9 o'clock so I was already aiming for the 10:10am trip to Seoul. But when I reached the counter, I was surprised to know that the next available trip ticket is for the 11:00am bus! I cannot make it to class on time if I wait for that bus. So I walked to the train station instead. It was about 20-30 minutes from the bus stop in front of the university.

It was quarter to 10 when I bought the ticket and the train would be arriving in a few minutes to pick up passengers from Jochiwon. I walked to wait for the train at Platform No. 5.

I was not cold at all, in fact I felt hot because of the brisk walk I did from the bus station and the sun was up, high enough to warm me despite the cold breeze. I was in my normal outfit this morning, plain shirt and my red sweater that I've had with me since my college days. Just in case the weather gets colder, I have my favorite blue jacket in my bag anyway.

An old lady came to me and started talking. I could not understand what she was saying but she was smiling at least, so I don't think she's cursing me or thinking bad about me! Kkk... Then she started fixing up my sweater and zipping it up to my neck! All I could guess was that maybe, just maybe, she was wondering if I don't feel cold at all because obviously, everyone there were in thick windbreakers or coats and there I was in a red and not-so-thick sweater that was even short and almost looked like a bolero compared to the length of my thin shirt. All I could say was "I'm really sorry but I cannot understand you". A lady in front of us heard the old lady and asked me "Vietnam?". Then I understood that the old lady was asking where I came from and of course, I answered "Philippines". Then she was talking again somegthing that sounded like (this is what I remembered from what she said because she kept repeating the phrases and made me repeat them as well, hahaha...) "Filipin, choa, hankuk (pointing on the ground)...korea jochiwo...filipin choa..."...???? HUWWWAAAT? "I'm sorry (grandma) but I really cannot understand you" and she went on half-laughing and smiling at me. Then she asked, "hakseng --(bla bla)", and I said "ye". That question probably meant "are you a student here?" since hakseng is a student...=)) What a funny situation to start my morning.

On the train, I started messaging my friends to teach me how to say "I'm sorry I don't understand Korean because I'm a foreigner". I got three replies with variations as well. The one I can remember most was from Uijeon oppa "Hankook mal mollayo" - short and just the right way to say "I don't understand Korean". Good enough to save me from another almost-embarrasing conversation. Some even called up and were wondering where the heck I was and what was happening to me. Hahaha... "Don't worry, I'm fine. I just needed buffer phrases from future strangers that might come right at me again..." Hahahah...

It was around 11:25am when I reached Anam and went out through Exit 2 (Korea University Main Campus). I was hungry and it's almost lunch time anyway. Before turning right to my usual route, I passed by a cafeteria that sold streetfoods. As usual, I ordered KIMBAP! "Kimbap, hana" (meaning - one kimbap) Hahaha! I drank several cups of warm water. The cold wind was starting to get in through my pores already! =))

I was actually the first customer! The women were still preparing when I got there! ^^


Only when they started opening the windows did I notice that it's not just a restaurant but a booth-like store that sold streetfood... =)) Right in front is my kimbap kkk...



Here is their menu! The kimbap didn't look like the one on this picture...T_T
1210h
I paid the lady and she started talking to me. Then I said "Hankook mal mollayo" -- haha! It helped! And she smiled back and said something that probably meant 'soon you'll also learn to speak just keep practicing'...haha...I wish I can speak already!!! But that was nice..Set me on a good mood even if I was tired and sleepy...kkk...

1230h
I was already in the classroom and ready for the class and reviewed the previous lectures.

1300h
Our professor arrived and gave us a short quiz, the weekly routine. MJ oppa has not yet arrived! He said he was gonna be late...ㅠㅠ

After the 15-minute break, my eyes were already drooping I hardly noticed that I was almost already falling asleep! T___T"

1600h
The morning class was moved to 4-7pm. So today, I had two 3-hour classes straight! Aaahhhh...Exhausting but I had to keep my eyes open! But this lecture woke me up because the first questions made me so lost again! Equations, differentials, what?! WTH?! The professor asked us to try solving problems about reactors. The bigger problem was that I don't even have any idea what we're doing! T___T""" I'M SO LOST. Eventually, I started picking up, at least. Whew... That class surely gave my mind a jolt to stay awake or else, I won't only be lost in translation, I'd be soooo lost in class too! I'm beginning to think how the heck will I survive this class. I'm very fortunate to have MJ oppa take that class with me!

1910h
Now in the subway by myself. MJ oppa will be taking the TOEIC tomorrow morning so I'm traveling to Jochiwon alone. In the subway, an old man sat beside me. After several stops, he asked me a question. I was dumbstruck again. Upon seeing my expression, he pointed on his left wrist. Ahh, the time...Haha...Then I showed him the time on my phone. Ok, no more talking. =))

1940h
Already in Seoul Station. I wanted to pass by some shops but I was too tired to even take a look at some stuff. So I just bought my train ticket, took a short stroll and looked at some cute caps at the bazaar, bought a box of hoodoogwaja (호두과자) and waited at Platform No. 4.

호두과자
More info on hodugwaja: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodugwaja
2140h
Jochiwon station.
I passed by GS25 and bought a kimbap-to-go for 1,200krw. That ends my adventure for today! c",)


Travel Info:

Train from Jochiwon to Seoul - 6,900 krw (standing)
Estimated travel time: 1hr 28min

Subway from Seoul Stn. to Anam Stn. - 900 krw
Estimated travel time: 22min

Subway from Anam to Seoul Stn. - 900 krw
Estimated travel time: 22min

Train from Seoul to Jochiwon - 8,100 krw (reserved seat)
Estimated travel time: 1hr 28min

No comments:

Post a Comment